Saturday, May 9, 2009

A "Sweet" Quilt

I named this quilt Sweet just because it seems to fit. The fabric is Sweet by Urban Chicks for Moda. This was a great take along project and so much fun if you enjoy hand sewing, I do!

My little quilt measures 34"x34" before washing and I used 2 charm packs to complete this quilt.


I added little half hexagons in a solid natural to two of the edges because they were a little to wonky for me (first time I've used that word, but I read it on blogs all the time, ya they were wonky!)


I just kind of made up my own technique and used flannel on the back.
And since a couple people asked ~~ here it is:

I made a hexagon template

Traced it onto the wrong side my charm fabric

Placed a charm and flannel square right sides together

Stitched on the line, leaving about a 5/8'' to 3/4" opening in the middle of one side

Trimmed the seams to a scant 1/4"

Turn, I use a pair of tweezers and a bamboo knitting needle to push out the points a little.

Then the fun starts

Finger press the seams

Sew up the little opening, then slide your needle in 1/4" and quilt around


After I have a few hexagons made

Place two charm sides together and whip stitch about 1/8" apart just catching the charm fabric




Slide your needle between the fabric to hide your "tails"


On the back, just slide the needle into the flannel and cross stitch, if you are really neat little hexagons will form at each intersection on the back.


Sorry I did lose some pictures while posting and couldn't figure out how to get them back in and.........I'm a really bad /slow typer!


xo Quilt LOve,
Shawn

6 comments:

  1. I love your little quilt. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing how to make it. I'm definitely adding this to my quilts to make. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ..Shawn... just back after a weekend spent at my parents... and I just had to see your finished quilt NOW.. and I LOVE IT!!! And thanks for the tutorial.. sounds very interesting.. think I need to test this method... just not right away... need to finish some projects first..lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous! Thanks for the instructions. ooxx`jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. looove looove love it!! It is soo beautiful. And your hand stitching makes it priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! Your quilt is so lovely, and your technique is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete