Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All tied up

It started with the tee shirt pocket pillow I made for my Dan’s birthday.

IMG_1195

The tee-shirt was purchased on vacation visiting relatives a few years ago, it had a stain so I decided to make a pillow out of it.

IMG_1200

Dan loves bandana fabric so I used some red on the inside.

IMG_1194

I really loved the pillow ticking so I decided to stitch up a quilt out of it. I haven’t tied a quilt in a while, this is a big full/queen and I wanted it a little poofy for a change so I decided to tie it.

DSC_0039

I started on the table and finished on the floor.  Someone thought I wanted to play….

IMG_1248

I love the way it finished ~ simple and pretty. 

DSC_0013

Dan is so easy going, he lets me do whatever I want when it comes to decorating his room.

DSC_0014

Made some lighthouse pocket pillowcases to0, I love the way they hold the pillow inside.

I have lots of vintage navy cotton ric-rac that I was happy I used on this quilt.

DSC_0021

Incorporated two charm packs of Minick and Simpsons Bar Harbor on the back.

DSC_0024

On a bittersweet note, I also finished my last “grief” blanket.  I  knitted about 10 of these during my parents final days and eventual death in 2005.  I’m finished now, not finished knitting but finished making these blankets, every stitch comforting and helping me through a difficult time.  My Mom taught me to sew and knit among many other things.  It goes nice with Dan’s new quilt.

IMG_1244

Quilt inspired by “The Lettered Cottage” guest bedroom.

xoShawn

6 comments:

  1. Your dog is adorable! I have a bishon pomeranian named Buster who loves quilts. Any time I have a quilt, or even just a few fabric squares, laid out on the floor he will nap on them! And he loves when I'm hand sewing binding, because he lays on the quilt as it hangs down at my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt turned out great!! I love your puppy dog on it too. Mine do the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh! It's just gorgeous. So sophisticated and crisp. I LOVE love love it!!! I love the big stitches across the top of the turned down quilt. And the knitted blanket is just perfect too. What a treasure -- BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love The Lettered Cottage. I'm sorry to hear about your parents but it sounds like you put your feelings to good use. Your love for your parents will keep others warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is fabulous!! I adore ticking.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the quilt and the blanket are lovely. And the pillow for Dan is fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete